Housing and homelessness
The number of people experiencing homelessness is climbing and the cost to individuals and the community is way too high.
- Every night a thousand people in Western Australia sleep on the streets, most of them sheltering in the city’s alleys, doorways and parks.
- 9,000 are considered homeless, often couch-surfing and without a safe place of their own.
- More than 25,000 people in WA receive support from social services each year. Around 40% have been victims of domestic violence and 40% are Aboriginal.
Ruah meets many of them. For more than 60 years, we have been providing compassion and practical help to vulnerable and disadvantaged people on the streets, in our centres and refuges, and in their homes.
We work directly with clients and are actively involved in research and evidence-based programs that are leading the way in the community services sector. Our flagship programs demonstrate our success through innovation and advocacy.
When it comes to tackling the challenges of homelessness we believe:
- If we all work together, we can end homelessness. Everyone wins.
- Housing comes first. People need a safe, stable place to live, before they can focus on other challenges in their life.
- Clients are the centre of everything we do. Everyone is different and their problems are complex. One agency can’t do it all but together, we can achieve long-term positive change and break the cycle of homelessness.
Ruah’s services are free. Here is how to reach us:
- Newly homeless? Call Entrypoint on 08 6496 0001 or 1800 124 684
- Experiencing ongoing homelessness? Our Ruah Engagement Hub team is available for support at 247 James Street, Northbridge, Monday to Friday 8.30am – 2.00pm, excluding public holidays. No appointment is necessary.
- Problems with your tenancy or at risk of becoming homeless? If you are in a private rental or would like to find a private rental in Perth’s South East metropolitan area, contact Ruah’s South East Tenancy team.
Ruah Engagement Hub support
The new Ruah Engagement Hub is now open.
The Ruah Engagement Hub is now open at 247 James Street, Northbridge.
Providing a safe space for adults over 20 years who are experiencing homelessness to rest, refresh and access specialist support services.
Drop-in between 8.30am and 2.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) for the following services:
- Assertive advocacy
- Crisis accommodation referrals
- Document support, assistance with accessing ID and housing applications
- Support with referral to case management programs, health services, legal services and other supports
- Rest and recuperation facilities including showers.